Monday, February 10, 2014

Weaving in the Ends .. Making it FUN & EASY!

Weaving in the Ends .. Making it FUN &  EASY!


It's time consuming and nobody really likes to do it.  Probably because it's tedious and has nothing to do with the creating of our our beautiful projects.
We usually save it for last, then spend hours hiding those little pieces left after connecting our squares or motifs.

I don't mind it anymore! 

As a matter of fact, I enjoy the task now that I have started using a large needle to 'weave in the ends'. 
Yes, I used to avoid that needle like the plague because it was such a PAIN trying to work the yarn through the eye of the needle. 

Last Halloween, I looked at a discarded candy wrapper and inspiration struck. I cut a strip of the wrapper and folded it in half, placed the yarn in the crease, closed the fold and BAM...threaded the needle quick and easy for the very first time!







Using the large needle actually makes it much easier to hide the tails and here are a couple of tips for making certain they stay hidden too!

Use Long Tails

I woman I spoke to who specializes in repairing and restoring crochet and knitted pieces says "PLEASE, use long tails"  Not only does it allow original material to work with if someone eventually needs to work a repair, but long tails rarely come un-done..short tails are more likely to come un-knotted with time.

Weave Back and Forth, Up and Down

This is the best way to make sure that your tails don't come loose.  It is pretty common for us to grab the tail and pull it through a length of stitches to hide it. That's easy, but it also comes out of that single row easy too. Using the large needle, makes it easy and even fun to do a little more. Weave those long tails to the right, to the left, up and down. 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What a clever 'tool'. Now why didn't i think of that one. Lol.

Lucy Blossom said...

What a great idea - I hate trying to thread yarn through the needles!

Unknown said...

Thanks for this tip!!

Lilly's Mom said...

Thanks for sharing such a great idea! Lovely heart motif, too.

Handmade by Stefanie said...

Great advice, thanks for sharing!

heston said...

Hello, beautiful heart! I have no trouble with weaving the tails, i always have a long tail and work the yarn one way then turn around and double back, might try this one on my current project,changing colors at the end of every two rows!...my biggest problem is the end of the tail that always seems to sneak back out just a bit....do you have solution for that little problem? Anything little hint or way you do your's would be much appreciated!

Unknown said...

These are both tricks I learned many years ago - the piece of paper works well for most long-eyed needles and to me is much easier than those finicky needle threaders, which I can never make work for me! Thank you for sharing these :)